Many of you are already familiar with the PRIME Trips (Primary Resource in the Middle East) that our students are privileged to take in the Middle School. We are writing to you now, because as soon as we return in August, we will need to begin preparing for the PRIME Trips that will happen from Sunday, October 8th - Thursday, October 12,th 2017 for our seventh and eighth graders.
These PRIME trips are an important part of the Middle School program. This off-campus, activities-based, program offers students the opportunity to extend the curriculum beyond the classroom walls in exciting ways in a new environment. Students are also able to develop new friendships, try new experiences, and build self-confidence. The CAC PRIME Trips are an integral and mandatory part of the Middle School curriculum.
In the 2017/18 school year, we are very pleased that we can return one of our trips to Egypt for the first time in several years. The seventh graders will be going to Marsa Alam for an exciting five days. This experience complements their Ecology unit in Science and the Environment unit in Geography. The eighth-grade students will have an incredible opportunity to visit Greece for a mix of cultural and outdoor activities.
Each PRIME Trip provides an opportunity to fulfill a variety of the goals listed below, although each program does not necessarily cover all the objectives.
• Extend and apply school curriculum work in an authentic and exciting environment.
• Improve physical and mental health through the development of interest in recreation as a non-competitive and individually fulfilling activity.
• Develop skills of co-operative living, leadership, social responsibility and acceptance.
• Develop a sense of personal involvement and fulfillment and be part of a community working together to learn new skills and sharing a common experience.
• Deepen relationships between students and their peers, and students and faculty, as they work in collaboration in a situation that is new, challenging, and exciting for all.
• Express and extend their individual talents and abilities and have these recognized in a less traditional non-classroom environment.
• Develop a fuller understanding and appreciation of the natural environment; become comfortable in “living with nature”; develop positive attitudes and approaches for preserving and conserving natural environments.
• Develop the attitudes and skills associated with self-reliance, especially for those students in an outdoor situation; develop self-confidence and self-esteem through activities that are either new to them or that they have the opportunity to develop and improve.
• Develop an understanding of their capabilities and limitations as well as sensitivity to the abilities and limitations of others, through a variety of experiences, especially while exploring the outdoors.
The program in each grade level is tailored to the curricula, social, and physical needs of students of that age group. Curricula extension is an important part of all the programs offered. Students who do not go on their grade level trip, are required to participate in the Cairo Based Trip which embraces the same philosophy as the others. All trips are characterized by learning, fun and social activities.
Middle School Principal
Cairo American College
“Release your Brilliance”
Welcome to the Middle School at Cairo American College, where we have created an enthusiastic and energetic environment with a diversity of choices aimed at fulfilling the school’s mission of providing a well-rounded education. We place an emphasis on our core values and academic program that challenges our students to learn.
We offer many academic, extra-curricular, and elective experiences - all designed to develop interests of our young adolescents as they find their independence and self-identity. Our faculty ensures that students are challenged academically in an environment that is welcoming, supportive, and offers opportunities for them to pursue their passion, meet challenges and develop their independence.
We will begin this year as we left off last year - with great students and teachers doing great things in the Middle School both inside and outside of the classroom every day.
At Cairo American College, we believe that:
· Each person has intrinsic worth.
· Our community models and promotes respect, responsibility, and integrity.
· Student learning is the focus of all school activity.
· Honest and compassionate communication is essential.
· The pursuit of knowledge, understanding, and truth is a life-long process.
· Embracing diversity strengthens community and enriches life.
· The well-being of the community depends upon the peaceful actions and contributions of every member.
· No institution has a more profound effect on the individual than family.
We have much to look forward to this year in the Middle School. We have an engaging curriculum that focuses on knowledge and creativity thinking while challenging students to apply their knowledge and skills in authentic and novel ways. We have a daily Advisory program whereby students belong to a small cohort of their peers and meet with an Advisory teacher for the first twenty minutes of each day. We know that Advisory strengthens relationships and develops the sense of community and belonging, which are so important to all we do here in the Middle School. We continue to broaden our co-curricular program and offer enrichment activities outside of the classroom and after school. Our sports, clubs, drama productions, bands, choirs and after school activities provide students with appropriate opportunities to exercise their minds and bodies as well as to develop and pursue their passions.
Collectively, we represent cultures and nations from all around the world. Our diversity teaches us about perspective, culture, and compassion. We have a strong sense of community grounded in our Middle School core values of caring, diversity, respect, safety, and trust . These "living words" are modeled daily by both students and adults and serve to guide us all in our interactions with one another. We also work hard to promote and develop our school-wide Student Learning Outcomes - Communication, Thinking, and Caretaker/Caregiver . We know that embedding these learning principles into the daily classroom experiences of our students will help them grow and prosper throughout this year and beyond. We also strongly believe that the success of a solid educational program rests in having a partnership with parents and students. We encourage you to get involved! Our staff is here to help you find success in the Middle School.
We thank you for choosing Cairo American College and for your support of the Middle School. If we can be of any service or help to you, do not hesitate to contact us. We look forward to a successful year learning and growing together. We hope that you are as excited about the year ahead as we are.
Middle School Principal
Tel. #: (20-2) 2755-5300