For our sixth grade students, here is a little background to familiarize you with this exciting program. PRIME trips are an important part of the Middle School program. This off-campus activities-based program offers students the opportunity to extend the curriculum beyond the classroom walls in exciting ways in a new environment. They are also able to develop new friendships, try new experiences, and build self-confidence. The CAC PRIME Trips are an integral and mandatory part of the Middle School curriculum.
Our 6 grade trip takes place in Egypt in the exciting city of Luxor. It is an amazing trip that complements 6th grade ancient civilisations unit in Social Studies. The seventh grade students visit Marsa Alam, a trip that has been extremely successful in the past. It complements the ecology unit in 7th grade science. The eighth grade students will visit Jordan for a mix of cultural and outdoor activities.
Each PRIME Trip provides an opportunity to fulfill a variety of the goals listed below, although each program does not necessarily cover all the objectives.
- Extend and apply school curriculum work in an authentic and exciting environment.
- Improve physical and mental health through development of interest in recreation as a non-competitive and individually fulfilling activity.
- Develop skills of co-operative living, leadership, social responsibility and acceptance.
- Develop a sense of personal involvement and fulfillment and be part of a community working together to learn new skills and sharing a common experience.
- Deepen relationships between students and their peers, and students and faculty, as they work together in a situation that is new, challenging, and exciting for all.
- Express and extend their individual talents and abilities and have these recognized in a less traditional non-classroom environment.
- Develop a fuller understanding and appreciation of the natural environment; become comfortable in “living with nature”; develop positive attitudes and approaches for preserving and conserving natural environments.
- Develop the attitudes and skills associated with self-reliance, especially for those students in an outdoor situation; develop self-confidence and self-esteem through activities that are either new to them or that they have the opportunity to develop and improve.
- Develop an understanding of their own capabilities and limitations as well as sensitivity to the capabilities and limitations of others, through a variety of experiences, especially whilst exploring the outdoors.
The program in each grade level is tailored to the curricula, social, and physical needs of students of that age group. Curricula extension is an important part of all the programs offered. Students who do not go on their grade level trip, are required to participate in the Cairo Based Trip which embraces the same philosophy as the others. All trips are characterized by learning, fun and social activities.
Middle School Principal
Cairo American College
“Release your Brilliance”